When designing your kitchen, the top of your cabinets is often overlooked. But the space above your cabinets can offer functional and decorative opportunities to elevate your kitchen’s overall look and feel. Decorating or closing the top of your kitchen cabinets ultimately comes down to personal preference and specific needs.
Whether to decorate or close the top of your kitchen cabinets depends on your personal preferences and needs. Leaving them open can create an airy feel while closing them off provides additional storage and a streamlined look. Maximizing space can be achieved through strategic storage solutions and decor that complement the kitchen design.
If you have high ceilings in your kitchen, leaving the top of your cabinets open can create an expansive and airy feeling. This can be especially helpful if you have a small kitchen and want to create the illusion of more space. On the other hand, closing off the space above your cabinets can provide additional storage for items you don’t use regularly or don’t want to display. Additionally, closing off the area can create a more streamlined and cohesive look in your kitchen design. Ultimately, deciding to decorate or close the top of your kitchen cabinets depends on your style and functional needs.
Pros and Cons of Leaving the Top of Your Cabinets Open
Leaving the top of your kitchen cabinets open can offer several advantages and drawbacks. Here are some pros and cons of leaving the top of your cabinets open:
- Creates an airy feel: Leaving the top of your cabinets open can create a feeling of openness and make your kitchen appear more spacious
- Adds visual interest: You can use the space above your cabinets to display decorative items or artwork, adding visual interest to your kitchen
- Easy access to items: Keeping items on top of your cabinets makes them easy to reach and grab when needed.
- Can collect dust: Without a cover, the space above your cabinets can collect dust and grease over time, making it difficult to clean
- Items can become outdated: Decorative items displayed on top of your cabinets can become outdated quickly, making your kitchen feel dated
- Limited storage space: Leaving the top of your cabinets open means you miss out on additional storage space, which can be particularly important in small kitchens.
Related posts you may like: How to Organize Kitchen Cabinets: Tips for Maximizing Space and Efficiency
Creative Ways to Decorate the Space Above Your Cabinets
The space above your kitchen cabinets is a great opportunity to display your creativity and add personality to your kitchen. Here are some creative ways to decorate the space above your cabinets:
- Use plants: Adding plants can bring your kitchen a natural, organic feel. Choose plants that don’t require a lot of maintenance and won’t grow too tall.
- Display artwork: Hang artwork or photographs above your cabinets to add a personal touch to your kitchen. Choose pieces that complement your kitchen’s color scheme and style.
- Use baskets or boxes: Use baskets or decorative boxes to add texture and dimension to the space above your cabinets. They can also be used to store items you don’t use often.
- Add lighting above your cabinets to highlight your decor and create a warm, inviting glow. Consider using LED strips or puck lights for a modern look.
- Incorporate a theme: Use the space above your cabinets to incorporate a specific theme or color scheme in your kitchen decor. For example, if you have a beach-themed kitchen, you could display seashells or beach-inspired decor.
- Use mirrors: Mirrors can help reflect light and make your kitchen appear larger. Consider adding a mirror or mirrored tiles above your cabinets to create the illusion of more space.
- Add a decorative backsplash: If you have a gap between the top of your cabinets and the ceiling, consider adding a decorative backsplash to fill the space. This can add color and texture to your kitchen decor.
Related posts you may like: 36 vs. 42-inch Kitchen Cabinets: Which One Is Better For You
How to Use the Top of Your Cabinets for Additional Storage
If you’re struggling with limited storage space in your kitchen, using the top of your cabinets can provide an excellent solution. Here are some tips for using the top of your cabinets for additional storage:
- Use baskets or bins: Place baskets or bins on top of your cabinets to store items you don’t often use, such as seasonal or specialty items.
- Display decorative storage containers: Use decorative storage containers, such as canisters or jars, to store pantry items like flour, sugar, or coffee.
- Add shelves: Install shelves above your cabinets to create additional storage space. You can use the shelves to store items like cookbooks, decorative plates, or serving dishes.
- Use hanging storage: Hang pots, pans, or utensils from a rack or rod mounted on the wall above your cabinets. This can be a great space-saving solution, especially for smaller kitchens.
- Store appliances: If you have appliances you don’t often use, such as a slow cooker or stand mixer, store them on top of your cabinets to free up counter or cabinet space.
- Use risers: Add risers or shelf inserts to your cabinets to create additional storage space. This can be a great solution for storing dishes, cups, or bowls.
- Add hooks on your cabinets’ underside to hang mugs, dish towels, or cooking utensils. This can be a great way to free up drawer or cabinet space.
Remember to keep the items you store on top of your cabinets organized and tidy, and be mindful of the weight of the items you store to avoid any potential safety issues.
Tips for Achieving a Streamlined Look by Closing Off the Top of Your Cabinets
Closing off the top of your kitchen cabinets can provide a sleek and streamlined look to your kitchen. Here are some tips for achieving a streamlined look by closing off the top of your cabinets:
- Install cabinet doors: Install cabinet doors on top of your cabinets to create a clean and cohesive look. This can be a great solution if you store mismatched or outdated items in your cabinets.
- Use a valance: Install a valance or a short decorative panel above your cabinets to create a seamless transition between the cabinets and the ceiling. This can also help hide any lighting fixtures or wiring that may be visible.
- Paint the space above your cabinets: If you don’t want to install cabinet doors or a valance, consider painting the space above your cabinets the same color as your cabinets or the ceiling. This can create a cohesive look and make your cabinets appear taller.
- Add molding: Install a crown or decorative molding above your cabinets to create a finished look. This can be a great solution if gaps or uneven areas are above your cabinets.
- Create a display area: If you have a gap between the top of your cabinets and the ceiling, consider creating a display area by installing shelves or hanging artwork. This can be a great way to add visual interest to your kitchen while achieving a streamlined look.
Choose materials and finishes that complement your kitchen’s style and color scheme. A streamlined look can be achieved while adding a personal touch to your kitchen design.
Related posts you may like: 10 Best Fluorescent Lights For The Kitchen
Maximizing Space in Your Kitchen: Storage Solutions for Small Kitchens
In a small kitchen, maximizing space is crucial to maximizing your available square footage. Fortunately, several storage solutions can help you achieve this goal. Here are some ideas for maximizing space in your kitchen:
- Use wall space: Install open shelves or hanging storage on the walls to free up counter space and keep frequently used items within easy reach. Magnetic knife strips, pot racks, and pegboards are also great options.
- Invest in multi-functional furniture: Choose pieces that can serve multiple purposes, such as a kitchen island with built-in storage or a table with drawers or shelves. This can help you make the most of your limited space.
- Utilize the space above your cabinets: Whether you decorate or close off the top of your cabinets, this space can be used for additional storage. Consider adding baskets or decorative boxes to store items you don’t use often
- Organize your cabinets and drawers: Use drawer dividers, shelf risers, and other organizational tools to maximize your cabinet and drawer space. This can help you maximize storage and keep your kitchen organized.
- Use under-sink storage: Install pull-out organizers or shelves under your sink to make the most of this often-overlooked space.
Remember to be creative with your storage solutions and choose options that fit your personal style and needs. With strategic planning and creativity, even the smallest kitchen can feel spacious and functional.
Cohesive Design: Decorating and Closing off the Top of Your Cabinets to Match Your Style
Creating a cohesive design in your kitchen is an essential part of achieving a polished and well-designed space. Whether you choose to decorate or close off the space above your cabinets, it’s important to consider how it will complement the overall style of your kitchen. By incorporating materials, colors, and textures that match your cabinets and other design elements, you can achieve a cohesive and harmonious look in your kitchen.
If you choose to close off the space above your cabinets with doors or a valance, consider using materials that match the style and finish of your cabinets. This can help create a seamless transition between your cabinets and the space above them. Add crown molding or other decorative trim above your cabinets to create a polished and finished look.
If you decorate the space above your cabinets, choose items that match your kitchen’s color scheme and style. You can add decorative items like vases, candles, or artwork to create visual interest and add a personal touch to your kitchen design. Incorporating lighting above your cabinets can also help highlight your decor and create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your kitchen. You can create a cohesive and beautiful kitchen design by paying attention to the details and choosing design elements that match your style.
Related posts you may like: Is There A Standard Size For A Kitchen Countertop? Heights & Widths Explained
Ideas for Displaying Decorative Items on Top of Your Cabinets
The space above your kitchen cabinets can be a great opportunity to showcase your personal style and add decorative elements to your kitchen design. Whether you prefer a minimalist look or a more eclectic style, there are plenty of ways to display decorative items on top of your cabinets.
One idea is to group items in threes, using varying heights, textures, and colors to create a balanced display. You can also use decorative baskets or trays to corral items and create a cohesive look. Adding greenery is another great way to bring life and freshness to your kitchen decor, with plants that don’t require much maintenance being a particularly good choice.
Artwork, decorative plates, or serving pieces can also create visual interest on top of your cabinets. Incorporating a theme, such as vintage or beach-inspired, can also be a great way to tie in your decorative elements and create a cohesive look that reflects your style. Remember to keep your decorative items organized and tidy, and choose items that match your overall kitchen design for a polished and cohesive look.
Using Lighting to Highlight the Space Above Your Cabinets.
Using lighting to highlight the space above your kitchen cabinets is a great way to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Here are some ideas for using lighting to highlight the space above your cabinets:
- Install LED strip lighting: LED strip lighting is a great option for highlighting the space above your cabinets. It can be installed easily and comes in various colors and styles.
- Use puck lights: Puck lights are small, round lights that can be mounted above your cabinets to create a warm, ambient glow. They are available in various colors and styles and can be battery-operated for easy installation.
- Add rope lighting: Rope lighting is a flexible and versatile option for highlighting the space above your cabinets. It can be cut to size and easily installed with adhesive clips.
- Use cabinet lighting: Installing lighting inside your cabinets can also help highlight the space above them. This can create a warm, inviting glow and make your kitchen feel more spacious.
- Add a dimmer switch: Installing a dimmer switch can give you more control over the ambiance in your kitchen. You can adjust the lighting to suit your mood and create a cozy atmosphere.
Remember to choose lighting that matches your overall kitchen design and personal style. Using lighting to highlight the space above your cabinets can be a great way to add warmth and ambiance to your kitchen and create a welcoming environment for family and friends.